5.08.2009

Islamic Center of Athens: A Look Inside


I took an Islam class last quarter with Dr. Loren Lybarger, and in each class, there was considerable effort made on his part to get his students to see Muslims as people just like them. I came into the class already open-minded about people who are different from me, and that's one of the main reasons I took the class: to learn about "other" people. What I found, though, is that there really is no "other." 

Yes, our customs and rituals may be different. But the way I see it, our beliefs may in fact be the same. There are certain beliefs that I think are innate to all of humanity, and these beliefs form the core of all religions. Humanity believes in compassion, love, understanding, justice. These things should bring us together if we share them, not tear us apart. 

The reason I included a slideshow of the Muslims of Athens praying, was for the purpose of humanizing their rituals that are too often seen as foreign. The first and most important step in debunking the myth of the "other" is education. I urge everyone to educate themselves on people they may identify as "different." Once steps are taken to learn about another culture or religion, I believe more similarities rather than differences will be found. 

This was my second time attending their Friday prayers, and I have never felt more welcome. Being inside the prayer hall, I saw people just like myself. After prayers, everyone gathered around plates of fruit, talking about their week at work, their kids, their upcoming vacations. They were most eager to talk to me, though. What questions did I have for them about their religion? Would I like to come back? Would I please help myself to more fruit?   

My virtual tour isn't enough. Everyone should take advantage of the opportunity to attend a prayer, or even just to visit the Center and talk to a member of the Muslim Students Association. Visit this link for more information about the MSA, including prayer times and events calendars. 

No comments: